Many of you probably remember we used to have a Java script Mud client for playing the game on our previous website. That client went belly-up when the Java became outdated and the original source code was not to be found. Since then we’ve researched Flash, PHP, Java and all sorts of mud clients. They all have had problems. Â In the end, a simple solution was found and I’m happy to say an online client to Revenge of the Jedi is now available. Just click the Play Now button in the Menu!
Hello. Don’t panic, you are still on the Revenge of the Jedi MUD homepage. After many long years we’ve finally pulled the trigger on a website revamp. It is mostly a design and platform revamp, with most of the original site converted here and cleaned up here or there. A few new features were added, in particular the active users on the side and the game snapshot page. We invite you to browse around. Some of the dead or non-functioning pieces of the old page have been removed for now and will be added back if we can get them working again. Â Sadly the play-it-now Java client was one of those casualties. Â Graphically we’re unhappy with the current banner and forum format and will look to enhance those in the future.
A conversion was done of the list of Users to bring all accounts over. This was done roughly 6 months ago, so any new accounts since then, or password/avatar changes since then may have to be redone. This is one reason I want to go live now instead of waiting any longer and you may want to review your account setup.
Also of note, all forum topics have been converted. However, the author of each post could not be linked to the new user list, meaning every old post had to be attributed to a default user, in this case Raistlin. We’ve manually gone through and updated over a thousand forum posts to their original user, but the oldest stuff (6 years and older) was left pointing to Raistlin. On request, specific posts not properly attributed to you can be fixed.
So without further ado, welcome to our new home.
The staff of Revenge of the Jedi would like to wish you happy holidays! Hope you had a Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, Quanza, and Winter Solstice. We look forward to seeing you all throughout 2013.
We have purged all player files.
Time to start a new adventure…
*que 20th Century Fox intro music*
A long time ago in a galaxy far far away…
Here is a rundown of the major changes implemented with the Purge…
- We have a retooled the way hitpoints and focus points are gained. Your class and size are now more important than your race. You will now see much less spread in the stats between races of similar size in class. So try a new race out!
- Small size characters dodge. To reflect their small, nimble nature and increase survivability, smaller characters have a slight chance to naturally dodge some attacks.
- Subguild skills have been redistributed and in some instances reorganized. Help files have been updated to reflect these changes.
- The quest shops have been revamped! Rather than exclusively set pieces the year, the question up now focuses on one time use items as well as single use items to improve your existing equipment. Additionally, there is now also a questi shop vendor which will sell high-level random equipment for quest points. Expect to see the new items rolled out in the coming days.
- The legend system is back! Now, rather than obtaining legend points from killing certain mobs, you buy legend levels with a combination of skill points and quest points. Each legend level (10 total) allows access to certain sp skills, quest items, and eventually special SP lesser classes! Level 10 legends may also choose to play with full-looting among other legends.
- Force healing and mend wounds have seen significant increase in focus cost for use. Plan your new character’s focus pool accordingly.
- Experience gained from healing other players has been increased.
- Unique items. A new flag will be seen on items called “unique” which means that you can rent with a single copy of that item. This will help prevent hoarding up some items and allow us to offer otherwise restricted items.
- Rent limits. Now certain items have different limitations on the number which you can rent with. Secondary ammo and utility items such as passes now have their own rent limits instead of going towards the general limit. Other all other item types have the same restrictions.
- This is just the beginning! We’ve improved several things on the backend and can now continue to roll out updates as we complete them. So keep your eyes peeled for things like Arms Dealer and Slave Trader as Lesser Classes and skills such as Force Tracking and Transmitter Gates to appear in the near future!
Today Star Wars: Revenge of the Jedi MUD turns 17!!! Still alive and kicking since our humble beginnings in a dorm room in 1995. Many of you are probably taking a little break in preparation for the big player purge next week, but be sure to stop by and say hi and have a slice of old anniversary cake at Port. (I think it’s still leftover from our 15th anniversary)
As you probably noticed, the website has a new look. With a purge around the corner, we thought it might be time to update the look of the website. But we also realize that not everyone likes the same looks, so we’re going to allow you to customize.
Once you login you’ll notice a new menu on the left side, below User Menu, called Select Theme. You simply select the theme from the drop down and hit change. Our themes are going to be based on the planets from the Star Wars universe.
The first, and default theme, is Tatooine. Childhood home to Anakin and Luke Skywalker, this small, poor desert planet has managed to feature prominently in the Star Wars universe being featured in five of the six films and countless expanded universe material. It also just so happens to be the starting planet for RotJ mud as well!
We will continue to add additional planets (themes) for your use and if you don’t like the new themes at all, you can always select the Classic theme to keep the old look. Enjoy
— Rohno and Taksun
December 17, 2012
11:59 pm EST
We are planning on a complete system wipe and restore.
That’s right, we’re purging.
For old players, you’ll remember a purge reinvigorates and is an exciting chance for everything to start fresh.
For new players, (who may want to cry at losing their characters) please know that this will allow us to put in some additional features/changes in the code and isn’t something we do regularly. Our last purge like this was November 1, 2007 (and it was a surprise to all the players).
There will be some new things that are going in with this purge. Some will be ready and implemented on day one, others over time. Some will have a noticeable impact, others will be behind the scenes. We will do our best to let you know about most of the changes that impact you.
Updates on changes will be through the website, when we’re ready to announce them. So please don’t spend the next 3 weeks asking over comlink “hey so what’s going to be new with the purge?”
“Amazing! A quick controlled thrust and he’s back on course!”
We are back up and running. Unfortunately all player files and equipment had to be restored to the back-up from last week. Our apologies for the inconvenience. Your accounts would have all been credited with an extra month of free game play — if it wasn’t always free already!
“…did he crash-ed?”
“Uh, we had a slight weapons malfunction, but uh… everything’s perfectly all right now. We’re fine. We’re all fine here now, thank you. How are you?”
“We’re sending a squad up.”
“Uh, uh… negative, negative. We had a reactor leak here now. Give us a few minutes to lock it down. Large leak, very dangerous.”
We’ve had a technical issue and we’re in the process of fixing it. Please bear with us and be patient…
“…Boring conversation, anyway. LUKE, WE’RE GONNA HAVE COMPANY!”