RotJ will be moving to an upgraded server between the hours 2AM and 8AM MST on May 10th. The outage should only last about 30 minutes but should the game not immediately come back up, it could be down longer, as it’s likely most of us with access to the magic on button will be sleeping.
It should be noted that our physical IP address (188.8.131.52) will be changing with this move but the rotjmud.org:9400 address for connecting will still work.
Maybe we’ll put on some bonuses after the move, thanks for playing,
Congratulations to our newest immortal Croop, who joins the RotJ leadership ranks this month. Croop’s first contribution to Revenge of the Jedi is the new planet, Aaris III, a massive 759 room zone that he has worked on for a long time.
Aaris III was a jungle world planet planet located in the Outer Rim Territories and the home world of a reptilian society that flourished several thousand years ago. The civilization was destroyed by a relic that may still exist. The Aaris cities have fallen into ruin, mostly reclaimed by the jungle. At least one science team (led by Doctor Lancer Brunou) has been sent to investigate the ruins of Aaris III and the planet has become a point of contention between the Empire and the New Republic.
Croop’s Aaris III will allow you to investigate the planet yourselves, learn the fate of the Aaris people and no doubt, run across other investigative teams. Having looked over the zone myself, there is some fantastic trigger work on the rooms, mobs and objects making this place a lot of fun. So, if your looking for something new in the level range of 30-80, check it out.
Hyperspace Jump 202
With Star Wars Episode VII approaching, we are quite excited and ready to have some fun. We’ve kicked that off with a host of game play updates! As is usually the case when rolling out big updates, we took the opportunity to revamp our player and object files while we were in the code, which should make it easier for future enhancements to the game. So….are you ready to start a fresh adventure?
In addition to the approaching movie, December 12th marks Revenge of the Jedi’s 20th Anniversary. That’s right, we opened our digital doors way back in 1995. Here’s a list of some of the events and new features you can see in the game.
December 12th Celebration
- These bonuses will be in-game on December 12th, machine game-time (US Mountain Standard Time, you can see this with Date command).
- All Player logging in on the 12th will receive a Reward for visiting.
- Death Traps will be turned off, you will simply return to port as if you had a Japor snippet or similar item.
- Subber Equipment loss will be turned off, you will not lose items to subber death on the 12th.
Game Design Changes
- Euthanize is now the name of the Surgeon’s long-awaited level 100 skill.
- Beguile is the new level 66 skill for the Scoundrel skill class.
- Repair Ship is a new level 80 Space Engineer skill.
- Legend 10 characters now get a 50% bonus to exp earned while leveling after remorting
- Group information with Group command has been aligned to be more readable.
- Free gifts: After every 5th level gained (land and space), your Guildmaster will now give you a small gift token that can be redeemed for a potentially awesome random item
- Swindling a mob without targeting a specific item now has a chance to obtain a random item based on the victim’s level.
- Fortress of Hate now scales the damage it deals back to the attacker based on the Sith Lord’s alignment!
- Items sold in unlimited quantities by game shopkeepers will be marked as not salvageable.
- Cline’s Heir is a new Autoquest added to the game that includes an expansion to a couple of existing zones and other additions including an homage to RotJ’s birth mud, Death’s Domain, totaling roughly 420 rooms of content. This quest is a blatant homage to Ernest Cline’s book, Ready Player One using some of Raistlin’s favorite things.
With this new autoquest, Raistlin is also holding a Quest of sorts. The first three non-immortal players to finish Cline’s Heir will receive a reward at a time of his choosing. As we just purged, this could take a bit of time to complete. We are trusting that our immortal staff will not divulge any hints about how to start or complete this quest.
- Poison skill was only working on wrist blades and should not again be working on all dagger weapons.
Revenge of the Jedi’s annual Halloween Haunted Mansion is now open for the season as is last’s year new installment, Elm Street, located in Southern Mos Eisley. You can expect more bonuses, festivities and hopefully a quest or two leading up to our favorite time of the mud year. Let’s play!
Many of you probably remember we used to have a Java script Mud client for playing the game on our previous website. That client went belly-up when the Java became outdated and the original source code was not to be found. Since then we’ve researched Flash, PHP, Java and all sorts of mud clients. They all have had problems. In the end, a simple solution was found and I’m happy to say an online client to Revenge of the Jedi is now available. Just click the Play Now button in the Menu!
Hello. Don’t panic, you are still on the Revenge of the Jedi MUD homepage. After many long years we’ve finally pulled the trigger on a website revamp. It is mostly a design and platform revamp, with most of the original site converted here and cleaned up here or there. A few new features were added, in particular the active users on the side and the game snapshot page. We invite you to browse around. Some of the dead or non-functioning pieces of the old page have been removed for now and will be added back if we can get them working again. Sadly the play-it-now Java client was one of those casualties. Graphically we’re unhappy with the current banner and forum format and will look to enhance those in the future.
A conversion was done of the list of Users to bring all accounts over. This was done roughly 6 months ago, so any new accounts since then, or password/avatar changes since then may have to be redone. This is one reason I want to go live now instead of waiting any longer and you may want to review your account setup.
Also of note, all forum topics have been converted. However, the author of each post could not be linked to the new user list, meaning every old post had to be attributed to a default user, in this case Raistlin. We’ve manually gone through and updated over a thousand forum posts to their original user, but the oldest stuff (6 years and older) was left pointing to Raistlin. On request, specific posts not properly attributed to you can be fixed.
So without further ado, welcome to our new home.
The staff of Revenge of the Jedi would like to wish you happy holidays! Hope you had a Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, Quanza, and Winter Solstice. We look forward to seeing you all throughout 2013.
We have purged all player files.
Time to start a new adventure…
*que 20th Century Fox intro music*
A long time ago in a galaxy far far away…
Here is a rundown of the major changes implemented with the Purge…
- We have a retooled the way hitpoints and focus points are gained. Your class and size are now more important than your race. You will now see much less spread in the stats between races of similar size in class. So try a new race out!
- Small size characters dodge. To reflect their small, nimble nature and increase survivability, smaller characters have a slight chance to naturally dodge some attacks.
- Subguild skills have been redistributed and in some instances reorganized. Help files have been updated to reflect these changes.
- The quest shops have been revamped! Rather than exclusively set pieces the year, the question up now focuses on one time use items as well as single use items to improve your existing equipment. Additionally, there is now also a questi shop vendor which will sell high-level random equipment for quest points. Expect to see the new items rolled out in the coming days.
- The legend system is back! Now, rather than obtaining legend points from killing certain mobs, you buy legend levels with a combination of skill points and quest points. Each legend level (10 total) allows access to certain sp skills, quest items, and eventually special SP lesser classes! Level 10 legends may also choose to play with full-looting among other legends.
- Force healing and mend wounds have seen significant increase in focus cost for use. Plan your new character’s focus pool accordingly.
- Experience gained from healing other players has been increased.
- Unique items. A new flag will be seen on items called “unique” which means that you can rent with a single copy of that item. This will help prevent hoarding up some items and allow us to offer otherwise restricted items.
- Rent limits. Now certain items have different limitations on the number which you can rent with. Secondary ammo and utility items such as passes now have their own rent limits instead of going towards the general limit. Other all other item types have the same restrictions.
- This is just the beginning! We’ve improved several things on the backend and can now continue to roll out updates as we complete them. So keep your eyes peeled for things like Arms Dealer and Slave Trader as Lesser Classes and skills such as Force Tracking and Transmitter Gates to appear in the near future!
Today Star Wars: Revenge of the Jedi MUD turns 17!!! Still alive and kicking since our humble beginnings in a dorm room in 1995. Many of you are probably taking a little break in preparation for the big player purge next week, but be sure to stop by and say hi and have a slice of old anniversary cake at Port. (I think it’s still leftover from our 15th anniversary)