The Dowager Queen (Episode IV)
Once every year or so I take it upon myself to begin planned monthly or quarterly updates and then do nothing following that first update for over a year. I might as well call it a yearly update, but here we go, once again I’ll be attempting at least a quarterly update…if there is something worth talking about! The changes to Revenge of the Jedi MUD over the last several months are listed below. Also, I’d like to note our facebook page should be your first stopping point for keeping up with game events. It’s our primary home these days.
Game Design Changes
- Disintegrate will no longer have a chance of affecting Custom Items.
- Players should now be able to target alternate equipped items of the same name with standard 2.item logic. For example, if wearing 2 shimmering cloaks on their person, they can put items into and examine the second cloak by naming it 2.cloak. This was previously not possible with worn equipment.
- Room traps that damage NPC’s can no longer deliver a deathblow. Instead the NPC will enter a mortally wounded status (-10 hp) and stop following their master (if they had one). Note they will probably bleed out and die afterwards. This change will resolve a nasty crash bug most commonly encountered when running Recon droids through damaging rooms.
- The Dowager Queen long a landmark on the Tatooine streets has been expanded into a minor NEWBIE zone, 20-30 rooms in size.
- Blindness and Force Sleep training guides have had their skill point costs equalized with their help files.
- Advance Sense Danger now functions like it should
- Failure of Raise Funds should no longer trigger aggression from other player’s followers
- Ryloth turbolift door and other reported key issues have been corrected.
- Eye of Vex, Wickets Cowl and a few similar item mistakes making said items unusable have been corrected.
- Autoquest’s failing to update their status do to players in Darkness or otherwise invisible has been corrected.
Hello. Don’t panic, you are still on the Revenge of the Jedi MUD homepage. After many long years we’ve finally pulled the trigger on a website revamp. It is mostly a design and platform revamp, with most of the original site converted here and cleaned up here or there. A few new features were added, in particular the active users on the side and the game snapshot page. We invite you to browse around. Some of the dead or non-functioning pieces of the old page have been removed for now and will be added back if we can get them working again. Sadly the play-it-now Java client was one of those casualties. Graphically we’re unhappy with the current banner and forum format and will look to enhance those in the future.
A conversion was done of the list of Users to bring all accounts over. This was done roughly 6 months ago, so any new accounts since then, or password/avatar changes since then may have to be redone. This is one reason I want to go live now instead of waiting any longer and you may want to review your account setup.
Also of note, all forum topics have been converted. However, the author of each post could not be linked to the new user list, meaning every old post had to be attributed to a default user, in this case Raistlin. We’ve manually gone through and updated over a thousand forum posts to their original user, but the oldest stuff (6 years and older) was left pointing to Raistlin. On request, specific posts not properly attributed to you can be fixed.
So without further ado, welcome to our new home.
It’s been some time since we last posted an update to the page, we’ve been a bit distracted these days and things are still rolling here on Meru. As follows are some of the more significant changes we’ve made in the last couple months. Also, we’d like to note our facebook page is seeing alot more activity these days, follow us there to keep update to keep more current with day to day events. In time well look into keeping the webpage, twitter and facebook all in sync so you’ll never miss out.
- Restring Tokens now have a set number of uses and can be used by players to restring (change the name) of their equipment without having to get an immortal involved.
- Custom Items will now have a rent cost of 0. If you have a pre-existing custom item, you can update it’s rent to 0 by using the ‘cupdate’ command.
- Upon Death, a character is no longer disconnected from the game. Instead they are now transferred to a limbo room with a down exit that leads to port. The Limbo room is a safe zone. You will still create a corpse in game, suffer wounds, lose all spells, followers, etc just like is normal.
- Equipped Customs now save over death!!! They will be equipped on you instead of your corpse. Customs in bags or in inventory will still end up your in your corpse. Items inside of your custom ship, will remain in your custom ship.
- Grouping has been modified so that all members of the group can have followers. This means that even if you’re not the leader, your followers can get the killing blow on the mob and have the experience/sp/qps received split amongst the whole party.
- Lights can now be upgraded with power supplies. Better the power supply, the longer the light will last. Top level parts will make the light permanent.
- Legendary Players can now buy a token that will allow them access to a special workbench that they can use to modify objects. Some of the changes are: *making items !subber, !donate, !junk, or !sell *removing the FRAGILE flag *lowering the odds it gets damaged in combat *making it upgradeable
- MURDER command must now be used to kill followers so no longer will you type ‘kill droid’ and whack on of your own group
- Sith Lords who can see in Darkness will now autoassist
- Subber rate lowered on FRAGILE equipment and increased the bonus on QUEST equipment gets to not get subbered
- Experience needed to level on land or train prof has been lowered by 25%
- Legendary Droid – A new Legend Bonus that can be bought that will give a boost to the stats of droid followers
- Mara Jade has joined the ranks of the Legendary Mobs. Her stats and eq have been increased to reflect this.
- Legendary Rooms added to the game. Mini-zones that will will require the Legendary Bonus to access.
- Corellian Space Zone is now Live!
- Blockade skill now improves
- Fixed a bug with Create Ship and Level Checks
- Fixed a bug with Engineers and Probe Droids
- Fixed a bug with energy shields that was causing some of the damage soak to be affected
- Fixed a bug with some of the redeemable legend tokens not working
- Create droid can no longer be used in combat
- Fixed bug in snare, you’ll no longer be able to walk out of the room when snared before combat starts
- Armor technician mobs will now properly work with the ‘service’ command
Here’s a friendly update on the active things coming from Mt. Meru. Some of these have been in for a while, others are new this most recent uptime.
- New elite class of legend NPCs, [**LEGENDARY**]
- Starred legends will now receive a random item for every 100 legend NPC kills
- Some starred legends have been boosted/strengthened, be advised
- All legendary NPCs no longer display their worn equipment
- Hide skill now boosts regen of smugglers
- Leadership skill is now useable in combat
- Legendary mobs now have a chance to break through the Cordon skill
- Force lightning now has a chance to cause an electrocution effect on the victim
- Disintegration now looks for NPC/players before looking for items
- The duration of time for Barrier Field has been slightly lowered
- Force Bind can now be stopped with Peace and has a lower per-round focus cost
- Cloaking system now working, but any attempt to communicate (comlink/auction) reveal you
- Conceal now breaks when combat begins
- Protect skill can now be used in combat. There is a slight lag associated with switching protection
- Aware NPCs (unable to be surprised with backstab/snipe) will become less aware over time
- Any attacks against an NPC will make them aware and alert now
- Glance skill can show if NPCs are aware and alert or not, but may also alert the NPC if noticed
- Mercs can now use the “Calm” skill to remove their Rage or Frenzy
- Slash can now slice through some doors, similar to the Bash skill
- Bayonet secondary system can now allow players to “Slice” through being snared
- Advance Sense Danger – Augments Sixth Sense/Sense Danger to allow Commandos and Force Users to dodge the first attack from aggressive enemies
- Force Block – Allows a Force User to try and block an attack when they are caught without their lightsaber
The instructors for the Jedi subguilds have been changed up to better match the subclasses:
- Sentinels will need to seek out Obi-Wan Kenobi
- Defenders can be learn from Mace Windu or Jedi Master Luke Skywalker
- To Yoda, Consulars will need to go
Here’s a friendly update from Mount Meru:
- Mind Trick – now opened up to work on significantly more mobs. Particularly, mobs that were push-able can now be “persuaded” to move with a mind trick.
- Word of Recall… is gone! Bounty hunters will now be getting wrist worn weaponry at level 51 in the place of word of recall. So keep some passes handy now, you have been warned.
- Retreat, group retreat, and casualty evacuation – these will no longer allow you to go into a deathtrap.
- Snare – Bounty hunters utilize grappling hook armor system to ensnare opponents, preventing fleeing. Those with lightsabers or daggers can “slice” themselves free, mercs can use their strength to break the snare, and the force power Peace will drop any ensnarement in the room.
- Drag – once a player is snared, a bounty hunter can “drag” that opponent to an adjacent room.
- Whirlwind – like Berserk, this will allow a dagger, melee, or lightsaber user to hit all visible mobs in a room. (SP Skill)
- Force Sleep – allows a Jedi to use the Force to cause an opponent to enter a deep sleeping trance.
The staff of Revenge of the Jedi would like to wish you happy holidays! Hope you had a Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, Quanza, and Winter Solstice. We look forward to seeing you all throughout 2013.
We have purged all player files.
Time to start a new adventure…
*que 20th Century Fox intro music*
A long time ago in a galaxy far far away…
Here is a rundown of the major changes implemented with the Purge…
- We have a retooled the way hitpoints and focus points are gained. Your class and size are now more important than your race. You will now see much less spread in the stats between races of similar size in class. So try a new race out!
- Small size characters dodge. To reflect their small, nimble nature and increase survivability, smaller characters have a slight chance to naturally dodge some attacks.
- Subguild skills have been redistributed and in some instances reorganized. Help files have been updated to reflect these changes.
- The quest shops have been revamped! Rather than exclusively set pieces the year, the question up now focuses on one time use items as well as single use items to improve your existing equipment. Additionally, there is now also a questi shop vendor which will sell high-level random equipment for quest points. Expect to see the new items rolled out in the coming days.
- The legend system is back! Now, rather than obtaining legend points from killing certain mobs, you buy legend levels with a combination of skill points and quest points. Each legend level (10 total) allows access to certain sp skills, quest items, and eventually special SP lesser classes! Level 10 legends may also choose to play with full-looting among other legends.
- Force healing and mend wounds have seen significant increase in focus cost for use. Plan your new character’s focus pool accordingly.
- Experience gained from healing other players has been increased.
- Unique items. A new flag will be seen on items called “unique” which means that you can rent with a single copy of that item. This will help prevent hoarding up some items and allow us to offer otherwise restricted items.
- Rent limits. Now certain items have different limitations on the number which you can rent with. Secondary ammo and utility items such as passes now have their own rent limits instead of going towards the general limit. Other all other item types have the same restrictions.
- This is just the beginning! We’ve improved several things on the backend and can now continue to roll out updates as we complete them. So keep your eyes peeled for things like Arms Dealer and Slave Trader as Lesser Classes and skills such as Force Tracking and Transmitter Gates to appear in the near future!
Today Star Wars: Revenge of the Jedi MUD turns 17!!! Still alive and kicking since our humble beginnings in a dorm room in 1995. Many of you are probably taking a little break in preparation for the big player purge next week, but be sure to stop by and say hi and have a slice of old anniversary cake at Port. (I think it’s still leftover from our 15th anniversary)